[svlug] Slides from the GoLUG meeting

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Jun 2 12:48:15 PDT 2016

On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 00:56:51 -0700

> Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):
>
> > You all are probably just now getting out of your meeting after the
> > meeting, but maybe tomorrow :-)
>
> The SST never came to pick me up, though I supplied that ICBM
> coordinates from my house (that are on http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/).
> So, sorry, missed your talk; and I'll have to look at your slides
> instead.
>
> Slides from my talk are available directly from the front of
> http://www.svlug.org/ .

Why couldn't you have given this 2 years ago when I built my Daily
Driver Desktop, whose / is mounted to a 256GB SSD?

[root at mydesk ~]# mount | grep -v cgroup
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs
(rw,nosuid,noexec,size=7788344k,nr_inodes=1947086,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts
(rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sdb1 on /boot type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sdb7 on /tmp type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sdb6 on /var type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sdb8 on /run type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sdc9 on /home type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
/dev/sdc1 on /s type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sdc2 on /d type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sdc4 on /classic/a type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sdc5 on /classic/b type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sdc6 on /classic/c type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sdc7 on /home/slitt/mail/Maildir type ext4
(rw,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sdc8 on /scratch type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sdc3 on /inst type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sr0 on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,relatime)
[root at mydesk ~]#

Your talk reminded me I hadn't done an fstrim in several months, so I
did one:

[root at mydesk ~]# df -h /
/dev/sda1       220G  9.4G  200G   5% /
[root at mydesk ~]# time fstrim -v /
/: 210.6 GiB (226078486528 bytes) trimmed

real	1m17.260s
user	0m0.000s
sys	0m0.307s
[root at mydesk ~]# df -h /
/dev/sda1       220G  9.4G  200G   5% /
[root at mydesk ~]#

I'll have to look harder into your suggested noop scheduler and also
make sure my SSD is partitioned at 2^20 boundaries.

I'm in love with my setup of mounting an SSD as /, and then mounting
everything that gets written in normal operation to spinning disks.
Programs from /usr/bin load much faster, my SSD is still only 5% full
(which is why forgetting fstrim for months didn't ruin me), and as I
remember the SSD cost maybe $120. Oh, and with the small SSD, I can
boot MBR without losing disk space.

I wish I could have attended, but I was still at GoLUG's meeting after
the meeting when your talk began.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21