[svlug] More links about ssds

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 2 08:48:51 PDT 2016

Quoting Marc MERLIN (marc_news at merlins.org):

> I don't think any Sata SSD drive manufacturer guarantees any total
> amount of data you can write to them, or did you find one?

I would never expect to.  Nor did I so suggest.

You might have missed my point, that the claim of 2000TB endurance is
merely a reviewer's wild extrapolation from a small amount of SMART data
gleaned during a brief run of test data on a single review unit -- and
so I put correspondingly little credence in that claim.

That is not _at all_ to denigrate the hardware in question, merely to
point out that the data presented there are not compelling.

I mean, I respect reviewer Vättö's work, but what he did is not to be
confused with a real-world study of endurance.

(One of the -other- bits of advice in my lecture was to advise reading
reviews, but do so skeptically.)

> They offer estimates from wear levelling meters and people have reverse
> engineered approximate numbers from them.

We're agreed that SMART data lies, right?  I mean, otherwise, we're
not having the same discussion.