[svlug] More links about ssds

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Thu Jun 2 08:36:13 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 02, 2016 at 08:32:42AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Marc MERLIN (marc_news at merlins.org):
>
> > That's the theory. In practise it works better than you think
> > http://www.anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/4
> >
> > The 1TB drive has a 2000TB endurance, which amounts to 18.7 years for a
> > "100GiB of Host Writes per Day with 3x Write Amplification" case.
>
> Note that Samsung nowhere guarantees this.  It merely says it will RMA
> your drive if it fails inside five years.

I don't think any Sata SSD drive manufacturer guarantees any total amount of data
you can write to them, or did you find one?

They offer estimates from wear levelling meters and people have reverse
engineered approximate numbers from them.

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/