[svlug] More links about ssds

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 2 08:32:42 PDT 2016

Quoting Marc MERLIN (marc_news at merlins.org):

> That's the theory. In practise it works better than you think
> http://www.anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/4
>
> The 1TB drive has a 2000TB endurance, which amounts to 18.7 years for a
> "100GiB of Host Writes per Day with 3x Write Amplification" case.

Note that Samsung nowhere guarantees this.  It merely says it will RMA
your drive if it fails inside five years.

Author VättÃdid not determine that the test unit would endure for
2000TB of writes -- because he didn't do anything like that.  He merely
ran it through 2000 program/erase cycles and guesstimated an
extrapolation based on the Wear Leveling Count and bytes written
reported back by SMART.  Which among other problems relies entirely on
SMART data, which as we know lies.

As I said, I like long warranties, and I do look for them.  They're at
least a weak indicator that the manufacturer has confidence in the
product.  However, strictly speaking, even that's not entirely true --
because in some cases it still means the product's failure-prone but
it's cheap enough to manufacture in quanitity that the product line
works out to profitable anyway.

> You need to note that Samsung's 3D VNAND is much better than normal TLC
> while being about the same price.

Yes, this is a win.

> You missed my point. You could not make a 2TB Sata SSD for my laptop
> made out of SLC today. It just would not fi, and it would be 3x the
> cost of TLC :)

If I were made of money, I'd pay someone to carry around a larger and
heavier laptop.  ;->