[svlug] Slides from the GoLUG meeting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 2 00:56:51 PDT 2016

Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):

> You all are probably just now getting out of your meeting after the
> meeting, but maybe tomorrow :-)

The SST never came to pick me up, though I supplied that ICBM
coordinates from my house (that are on http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/).
So, sorry, missed your talk; and I'll have to look at your slides
instead.

Slides from my talk are available directly from the front of
http://www.svlug.org/ .

Several _actual_ experts on SSDs (includign Sarah Newman) were kind
enough to help from the audience, and identified a couple of the many
additional subtopics that might have been included.  One was:

'Advanced Format'.  This is the use of 4kB allocation blocks instead of
old-school 512 byte ones.  My understanding is that this arose not with
SSDs, but rather with spinning-rust drives to more efficiently address
larger capacities.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Format

In a few minutes of searching, I've not yet found references to this
being implemented on SSDs so far, only on HDs.  (I see no reason why it
couldn't be used in larger SSDs.)

'NVMe SSDs':  NVM Express is a better, faster way to address SSDs
through the PCI Express bus.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives/NVMe

People are extremely welcome to poke fun at the holes in my talk's
coverage, explain the things I missed or was confused about, etc.
Please do!