[svlug] System Panic Makes My Life Easier

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 29 16:14:05 PDT 2016

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):

> What should I say?
>
> Nostalgia Ain't What It Used to Be.[tm]

I used to think that was a Yogi Berra saying, because it sounds very
much like a Berra-ism.  However, it seems to have been a lot more
recent, and was the title of screen actress Simone Signoret's 1975 memoir,
_La nostalgie n'est plus ce qu'elle était_.  Signoret said she picked it
up from a bit of New York City graffiti, so on reflection it's probably
as old as Gilgamesh, that just wasn't said by anyone _famous_ until 1975.

> Other times... I bet that that was a pretty expensive box at least in
> use value if not money.

I've long been a bit sentimental about the VA Linux Systems 2230 -- and
had hopes of being the last to have one running, just for the bragging
rights.  When my last Intel L440GX+ 'Lancewood' motherboard died last year,
I claimed the medal on the ex-VA employees' mailing list.  Listowner
Marc Merlin shot me down with a photo of his that's still in rackspace,
_but_ I believe the canny gentilhomme français has cheated by replacing
the Lancewood and infamous Converter Concepts PSU with modern replacements.

I need to hit up Marc for details, because I kept one 2230 chassis, in
case I ever wanted to turn into a stealth 2016-or-later server.

> > You didn't read the story at my links, did you?  Well, I've now recapped
> > it above, so I hope my rationale and thinking are clearer.
>
> If you're referring to the "Burn-in" page, I admit I didn't reach the
> end but went to look for the CTCS2 code.

I actually meant the three links I posted about my RAM-testing adventure.
You can re-find them on http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/ , if ever interested.

> BTW I stumbled on
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/v7-hardware-certification-test-suite/
>
> they say it is open source, but I didn't invest enough time to find it.
> If someone is seriously interested I can ask.

It'll be open source.  RHAT are serious about that, bless their scarlet
little toes.

> Oh well you're sugarcoating the pill. I bet that in your eyes being
> stubborn and cheap are qualities. Unfortunately the truth is you were
> just younger ;)

Honestly, it didn't take a lot of time.  The box had been just sitting
on the far side of my dining room table anyway, so getting to the bottom
of the problem was mostly just have an idea, set up a test run, walk
away, come back later, interpret outcome, decide what if any variable to
change, cycle.  Total time spent at the console or taking the box apart
and tinkering was maybe an hour stretched over a couple of days.
Meanwhile, I was doing the rest of my life elsewhere, too.

> Return everything and let the vendor decide otherwise you're paying
> something you're not really using.

In this _particular_ case, the vendor had already morphed into a hapless
and incompetent proprietary software company and commenced the process
of further morphing and shrinking into a tiny Web shop in Virginia, that
in turn recently became so feeble that it suddenly terminated its 401K
plan.  (Thanks, Geeknet, Inc.!)