[svlug] Devuan

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jul 13 19:01:37 PDT 2016

Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):

> > For some reason, you seem extremely worked up over that.
>
> Yes I am.

Well, you come across as more than a little unhinged -- and I'm not the
only person around here to have noticed.

> Yes. I continue to shine a light on systemd fud (which isn't the issue
> here) and anti-Devuan utterances, even if the only reason they're anti
> is because of the lack of the four words "in my use case".

Dude, if you consider 'I like what Devuan is doing but strongly suspect
it wasn't necessary to fork Debian to accomplish its aims' (close
paraphrase) is an 'anti-Devuan utterance', then you desperately need a
perspective transplant, stat.

> Yes. Getting thrown off was just a great talking point, my real
> objection was that a large group of us weren't listened to, when *we*
> insisted on running our computers our way, which had been not only
> possible but easy and simple with Debian until that moment.

Months (years?) of ranting on debian-user accomplished nothing
discernible for you other than getting thrown off it.  My spending two
days researching and writing a Web page produced a tested systemd-free
Debian system regime and comprehensive information about its nature and
limits.

There's a lesson there.

> I'm pretty sure I won the debate.

I'm pretty sure you're the second coming of the Black Knight from 'Monty
Python and the Holy Grail'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhRUe-gz690#t=2m18s

And, dude, it's just distro policy, packaging practices, and system
administration.  This isn't something where 'winning' is on the table.