[svlug] Devuan

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Jul 13 18:29:48 PDT 2016

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 17:06:40 -0700

> For some reason, you seem extremely worked up over that.

Yes I am.

> Have you
> considered trying to figure out why,

I have considered finding out why, and I've found out why.

> and doing something about what is
> evidently problem of temperament and perspective?

Yes. I continue to shine a light on systemd fud (which isn't the issue
here) and anti-Devuan utterances, even if the only reason they're anti
is because of the lack of the four words "in my use case".

> > It's clear that both Devuan and the desire to keep systemd off one's
> > computer are special cases.
>
> I do not know what 'special' means in this context.

Way outside the usual. Outlier.

> I do know that I like to run my systems my way.

I know that.

> You presumably like
> to run yours your way.

In fact, I insist on it. That's why I kicked KDE, Gnome, and systemd
off my systems. All three got in the way of my running my system my way.

> In this fashion, everyone gets to be happy (or
> unhappy in each separate person's chosen fashion).

Yes.

> > If you stay in the Debian community and bitch about systemd, you're
> > a bad guy.
>
> I don't know what 'in the Debian community' means when _you_ use it,
> here -- but have a feeling it has something to do with posting long
> series of anti-systemd tirades to the debian-user mailing list and
> gettihg thrown off.  ;->

Yes. Getting thrown off was just a great talking point, my real
objection was that a large group of us weren't listened to, when *we*
insisted on running our computers our way, which had been not only
possible but easy and simple with Debian until that moment.

> > If you leave Debian and join the Devuan fork, you're all sorts of
> > bad.
>
> Who specifically said that?  I certainly didn't.

True. It was said, by hundreds of people, on the Debian-User list, even
after almost all of us were gone. It's been said every time I speak
up in a LUG discussion on Void or Devuan or systemd.

> In my own case, in all likelihood, I'll end up using at least some of
> their work (from their repos), as I suggested on my OpenRC Web page.

Excellent.

> > First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you,
> > then you win.
>
> You forgot the part where you get handed your ass in a sling on the
> SVLUG list by a longtime Debian-using sysadmin (over claims about
> Debian that you cannot support), and then attempt to summon the
> Devuan 'Dng" mailing list on a 'Let's you and him fight' theory, only
> to get foiled when it turns out that said longtime Debian-using
> sysadmin and the founder of Devuan are old friends, and the sysadmin
> has an established history as a Devuan supporter.

I'm pretty sure I won the debate.

> Also, son, I was using that slogan you quote in .signature blocks
> twenty years ago, before it was trite, worn-out polemics.

It's coming back in style, now that Debian's being locked up in
spaghetti packaging.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist