[svlug] Thoughts on Ansible?

Josef Grosch jgrosch at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 18:07:25 PDT 2016

On 07/11/2016 04:34 PM, Sarah Newman wrote:
> On 07/11/2016 04:22 PM, Robert Freiberger wrote:
>> Working on a proposal at work to switch over their static run books to use
>> Ansible as a push system for resolving system level issues.
>>
>> Love that it's Ptyhon and agentless but has anyone have comments on real
>> world usage? How did you manage your hosts file for a dynamic environment?
>
> Ansible can be slow but it gets the job done. It is easy to get started and the documentation is decent.
>
> If you need custom modules, you can (technically) write them in any language you want as long as they output json for the results - it doesn't matter
> that it's written in python.
>
> I haven't needed to use dynamic inventory personally but here is their documentation on it: http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/intro_dynamic_inventory.html
>
> --Sarah

Of the 4 CMs (Configuration management) systems I have used, Puppet,
Salt, Chief, and Ansible I would pick Ansible then Puppet. Ansible can
get the job done and it's not overly complicated. I have no idea how
well it scales since my experience was with an installation that managed
about 100 machines.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       |  Another day closer  |
jgrosch at gmail.com  |  to Redwood Heaven   |  Berkeley, Ca.