[svlug] Devuan

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 11 14:07:26 PDT 2016

Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 23:43:01 -0700
> Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):
> >
> > > I think all forks are merited.
> >
> > Please define 'merited'.
>
> It's     your     word.
>

> Read *your* first 6 words on
> http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2016-July/062102.html

_Obviously_, I meant what do _you_ mean when you say 'all forks are
merited'.  Because to a first glance, the sentence appears to be
utterly devoid of meaning, e.g., saying a fork created with no purpose
or plan beyond the mere action of creating a fork is 'merited' implies
that the term has been purposely drained of meaning.  Rather like when a
post-1960s Californian reassures you that your feelings are 'valid';
it's just placatory word noise, and says nothing at all.

As to the import of _my_ using the word 'merited' in
http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2016-July/062102.html, if you read
with context -- something I find many computerists resist -- you should
be able to figure out that it meant 'warranted, made necessary by
circumstance'.

As I elaborated downthread, IMO the primary aim of systemd-free Debian
did not, and does not, require forking the distribution, and lesser
measures would easily have sufficed to achieve that goal with much less effort.

Of course, equally, it's their time and trouble to waste.