[svlug] Devuan

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 10 23:51:45 PDT 2016

Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 15:06:26 -0700, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>
> > The whole forking thing seemed like gratuitous drama, really.  Just my
> > opinion.
>
> If it were gratuitous drama the fork would have failed.

Statement expresses a non-sequitur conclusion.  It does not logically
follow.

Relevant senses (in the context discussed) of the two words in question:

  1. Gratuitous: being without apparent reason, cause, or justification.

  2. Drama: a situation or sequence of events that is highly emotional,
     tragic, or turbulent.

In that, I essentially expressed the opinion that the primary objectives
of the Devuan founders, i.e., Debian usability without systemd, going
forward, could have been achieved without forking the distribution via
less arduous means.  You can agree or disagree with my opinion, but it
is simply incorrect and irrational to assert that failure of said fork to
fold means it was necessary, and that no lesser means could have
sufficed.