[svlug] Devuan

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Jul 10 21:12:28 PDT 2016

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 03:45:02 +0200
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:

> On 07/11/2016 02:57 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > And then later in the thread the Debian Dev crybabies bemoaned the
> > extra work of maintaining both a sysvinit run script (which they've
> > been doing for years) and a systemd unit file (which is advertised
> > as being dirt simple). They decided not to guarantee continuing
> > sysvinit. A few months later, during the Debian-User uprising, Ian
> > Jackson's created a General Resolution for loose coupling of init
> > systems (the way it had always been)
>
> If it is not your work it is easy. If it isyour work, it is hard.

The easiest thing in the world would have been to leave a working
system as-is.

> That makes me think that maintaining 2 init systems is not your work.

If I maintained a daemon, I'd have little trouble writing both run
scripts and unit files. If I maintained anything else, I'd make sure it
didn't depend on which PID1 was in use.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist