[svlug] Devuan

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sun Jul 10 18:45:02 PDT 2016

On 07/11/2016 02:57 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> And then later in the thread the Debian Dev crybabies bemoaned the extra
> work of maintaining both a sysvinit run script (which they've been
> doing for years) and a systemd unit file (which is advertised as being
> dirt simple). They decided not to guarantee continuing sysvinit. A few
> months later, during the Debian-User uprising, Ian Jackson's created a
> General Resolution for loose coupling of init systems (the way it had
> always been)

If it is not your work it is easy. If it isyour work, it is hard.
That makes me think that maintaining 2 init systems is not your work.
It is not mine either, but I'm not complaining.
Sometimes I do, but that's because I'm grumpy, not because I think I'm
right.

> You know why we moved heaven and earth to find alternatives and even
> fork a distro, rather than using the six packager-foo commands you
> mention? Ben Franklin said it best:

> "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
> safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"We", "they"? On which side are you? Which battle have you won?
Was it a battle? Did anyone win?
Does it always have to be a confrontation with absolutely right people
and absolutely wrong ones?
And guess what, *WE*'re always on the right side.

> Or maybe the Three Little Pigs are a better allegory:
> Package-manager-foo workarounds for Debian's intention are houses of
> straw and sticks: Devuan is a house of bricks.

Debian has been around for 23 years and it has been one of the founding
pillars of open source. Its contribution and approach has significantly
and positively shaped what open source is now.
It is hard to find something that has been more inclusive, lasted longer
and had such an important impact.
And I can't see no candidate replacement for its *role*.
It has thousands *independent* developers and it has one of the largest
user base and tens of derivatives that still relay on Debian work.

I bet the first that are grateful to Debian are devuan developers.

You're not just picking up the wrong words, you're detached from
reality. You can do better.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it