[svlug] requesting recommendations for monochrome duplex wired network laser printer

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 8 06:33:03 PDT 2016

Quoting Darlene Wallach (filistinehura at gmail.com):

> My laser printer is losing functionality - esp frustrating is the
> one-line display is now in a foreign language and I can't figure out
> how to change it to English. Since I have dhcp I don't know how I will
> know the new IP address if/when the dhcp license is renewed...
[...]
Something is responding to DHCP requests, most likely the DSL modem.
There should be similar configuration options.

Also, whoa.

If you don't know what in your setup is issuing IP addresses, stop and
figure your network out before doing anything else.  Diagram the pieces,
then research (i.e., look up) and figure out how each of them works.

Then, sit down and decide how you _want_ your setup to work.  Then, do
that.  These aren't tinkertoys.  It's a bad idea to just slam computer
network components together and let them do whatever the frell they want.
E.g., as Joel Seidman says, it would be crazy-stupid to accidentally put
a network-capable printer directly onto the Internet just because you
passively allowed it to get an Internet-reachable IPv4 address from your
aDSL 'modem' (bridge & router).