[svlug] requesting recommendations for monochrome duplex wired network laser printer

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 8 06:20:50 PDT 2016

Quoting Darlene Wallach (filistinehura at gmail.com):

> I fully and whole-heartedly agree! I don't know what language is on
> the display, "klar" is that Danish? Swedish? It doesn't look like
> German.

FWIW, 'klar' is indeed Danish, or Norwegian, or Swedish, meaning 'clear'.
Außrdem German, och Luxembourgish.

In Icelandic, 'klár' means 'smart'.  Ég er klár og geta skrifað á íslensku.

I could probably go on.  ;->  [1]

But I really don't think this is any way to investigate a printer.
I gather that the printer that is 'losing functionality' is a
HP LaserJet 4M Plus, part number C2039A.

You say you're not finding a copy of the manual online?  OK, here:
http://office.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/hewlettpackard_1/hp_laserjet_4m_plus_c2039a.html
I see lots of refurbs of that model, ranging between $140 and $300
('lots' because it was a standard small workgroup printer).

But bear in mind that any 4M Plus is going to be about 15-20 years old,
now.  That's pretty ancient, especially for a piece of kit that includes
not only moving parts but also ones that generate heat.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.[2]

Here's a Brother duplex-capable monochrome laser printer that looks
pretty decent, for $130, as refurb.  Does ethernet, WiFi, and USB.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brother-HL-2270DW-Workgroup-Laser-Printer-/322171939891?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Good luck with the shopping.

> I use Fedora and seriously need to install a current distribution as I
> have Fedora 13.

Yes, you most certainly do.  Fedora's now at version 24, and Fedora 13
(Goddard) was EOLed on 2011-06-04.  Your software has been unmaintained
for five years and counting.  This is Very Bad{tm}.

Being a Fedora user entails being willing to keep up with a rapid
development cycle and enduring (sometimes) wrenching differences between
releases and a certain amount of leading-edge breakage.  If you're not
willing to do that, e.g. to reinstall about every six months, then
honestly you should use something else.

[1] But I don't actually speak íslensku (Icelandic).  Too bloody
difficult.

[2] About a decade ago, when I discovered that my father-in-law still
had a Macintosh IIci (Motorola 68030 CPU) in his basement, I got it from
him so I could see if Debian 68k would run on it.  I found out that
Debian 68k walks briskly on it.  (The 14 other people at the July SVLUG
meeting already heard that joke, so sorry.)

And no, it wasn't Yogi Berra who is the first person reported to have
said 'Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.'   It was someone named Peter
De Vries.  http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/07/06/nostalgia-is-not/

--
Cheers,                                "Why struggle to open a door between us,
Rick Moen                              when the whole wall is an illusion?"