[svlug] BLU ray reader not working.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 30 16:05:24 PDT 2015

Quoting Michael Robinson (plug_1 at robinson-west.com):

> I am on a fedora 22 system.  I have installed rpmfusion, libaacs, and
> libbluray.  When I try to use the file manager in gnome the blu ray
> doesn't show up.  The eject button doesn't work, so the drive must be
> locked.  How do I check from an X terminal if the drive was even
> detected?  The drive is an LG one and it says MODISC on the front.
> There is a bluray symbol on the front of the drive too.

1  As others have said, you need to provide more data:  What connection
interface (SATA?  USB?  SCSI?), and what's the _model_?  Saying only
that it's 'an LG one' is like saying 'I have a way of getting around.
I'm not going to tell you whether it's a car, truck, scooter, boat,
motorcycle, airplane, or hovercraft, but it says "Ford" somewhere on
it.'

2.  Break the problem down into smaller pieces.  Whatever file manager
you're using in GNOME (Nautilus?  You didn't bother to say.)   Nautilus
relies on gvfs, which relies on gvfs-mount, which relies on mount and
the udf filesystem driver.  Your optical drives should be /dev/srN
devices.  Did you look at dmesg output?  Do
  dmesg | egrep -i --color 'cdrom|dvd|cd/rw|writer'
  less /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info

Did you try obvious mount usage like 'mount /dev/sr0 -t udf /mnt/bluray'?
(This assumes that your LG-whatever drive is /dev/sr0, and that you have
and wish to use a /mnt/bluray mountpoint, and that you have a
UDF-filesystem formatted disc in the drive.[1]  Some folks use other
mountpoints like /media/bluray.  Whatever it is, you should make sure
the directory exists.)

_Before_ attempting to use Blu-Ray discs DRM-obscured using AACS or BD+
encryption, try mounting an ordinary, unobscured Blu-Ray such as a data
BD-R[W] (e.g., basically anything other than a movie disc from Our Lords in
Hollywood.)  Get basic mounting of discs tested _first_, before
attempting to debug libaacs0, libbluray1, and/or libbdplus.

Does 'lsmod | grep udf' confirm that you have the UDF driver loaded?
Or try 'modinfo udf'.

Try, as root, running 'wodim --devices', and see what it finds.

If the LG drive you're having problems with is USB, then next time,
hardware permitting, elect for an internal SATA drive, as the USB layers
always add complexity.

Anyway, it should be easier and less frustrating to get the drive
visible and mounting non-AACS, non-BD+, i.e., unDRMed discs _first_, and
only then tackle the GNOME automounter stuff and dealing with Our Lords
in Hollywood and their DRM fetish.

Further help, including the libaacs0, libbluray1, libbdplus, etc. stuff, at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Blu-ray
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-you-need-to-know-about-watching-blu-ray-on-linux/
http://hydra.geht.net/tino/howto/linux/ubuntu/bluray/
http://apcmag.com/how-to-play-blu-ray-in-linux.htm/

[1] Oddly, some BD-R[W]s contain iso9660 filesystems rather than udf.