[svlug] Flash woes.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 24 00:26:25 PDT 2015

Quoting Michael Robinson (plug_1 at robinson-west.com):

> Adobe flashplayer plugin for Linux isn't being updated anymore.  Isn't
> HTML5 supposed to replace the need for flash?

It did.  Didn't you notice?

The solution you described as 'HTML5' is a smorgasbord of technologies,
the most popular of which, the H.264 video coding format element, has
serious patent problems that are going to haunt us for a long time.
Yet, it's otherwise solid technology.

Many non-technical computer users, especially Macintosh and MS-Windows
users, effectively mean specifically 'HTML5 tagging that delivers
H.264-encoded video with  Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) audio and an MP4
container format' when they say 'HTML5'.

HTML5 specifies a number of alternative options, notably the excellent
VP8 video format with Vorbis audio in a Matroska based container, a
combination called 'WebM'.  An update substituting the VP9 video format
is also called 'WebM'.

'HTML5' also encompasses a suite that's believed _least_ likely to have
patent problems but not as well supported as the others:  Ogg Theora
video format with Vorbis audio in an Ogg container.

All of these things are HTML5.

But when the technopeasants say 'HTML5', they pretty much invariably
mean the single HTML5 video subvariant with the worst patent problems,
and not any of the several other things that are also HTML5 video.

> Are there any viable alternatives to running flashplayer 11 on Linux?

As I've said before:  Michael, what specific problem are you trying to
solve?  Your question is very unspecific, because you give readers
absolutely no idea what you mean when you say 'viable alternative'.
Hence, your question as phrased cannot rationally be answered.

> What are other folks doing to get around this unfortunate decision by
> Adobe to abandon Linux?

That depends on what you mean by 'get around'.  What specific problem
are you trying to solve?

You might mean 'How do I play specifically sreamed SWF v.9 video files on
Linux if I can no longer install maintained and current versions of the
proprietary Adobe Flash Player for Linux x8664/i386?'

You might mean 'How do I play specifically sreamed SWF v.7 video
files...'

You might mean something else.

You might not really know exactly what you mean, but just are displeased
that proprietary Adobe Flash for Linux was discontinued and reflecting
vague and unfocussed discontent.

If you want to get meaningful answers, you really should work harder on
asking clearer and more specific questions.