[svlug] Raising network interface started to last too long

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sun Sep 20 17:16:42 PDT 2015

On 09/21/2015 01:52 AM, Michael Eager wrote:
> On 09/20/2015 04:32 PM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
>> On 09/21/2015 12:03 AM, Michael Eager wrote:
>>
>>> There's no rage condition.  Not likely even a race condition.
>>
>> Rage against the machine.
>>
>> I nailed it down.
>> It was a Nilox usb webcam. It took forever to get initialized.
>> I unplugged it and the boot was faster than light.
>>
>> Still puzzled... first I don't get why setting up the network card
>> should wait for *that* usb hardware.

> It wasn't.

> As I said previously, the boot sequence was waiting for some
> task (apparently, USB initialization) to complete before the network
> initialization could start.

There are other usb devices thet get properly and quickly initialized. I
don't get why a network card has to wait for a usb device.
Why usb devices should be blocking for network cards especially
considering that usb devices are hot pluggable...

>> Second, while the webcam was one of the few differences between the 2
>> PCs, I was able to have fast boots even when the camera was plugged.
>>
>> Furthermore there is not too much to change about a usb webcam but
>> something has changed... and it was not the usb port for sure.
>
> There are lots of things which can change.  Cables, hubs, connections,
> the webcam itself, the drivers, USB hardware, and more.

The usb camera was there when the network came up fast and was in the
same place when the network started to come up slow.

Apparently it was correctly plugged, I tried to plug it in another usb
port but nothing changed.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it