[svlug] Raising network interface started to last too long

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Sun Sep 20 16:52:47 PDT 2015

On 09/20/2015 04:32 PM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> On 09/21/2015 12:03 AM, Michael Eager wrote:
>
>> There's no rage condition.  Not likely even a race condition.
>
> Rage against the machine.
>
> I nailed it down.
> It was a Nilox usb webcam. It took forever to get initialized.
> I unplugged it and the boot was faster than light.
>
> Still puzzled... first I don't get why setting up the network card
> should wait for *that* usb hardware.

It wasn't.

As I said previously, the boot sequence was waiting for some
task (apparently, USB initialization) to complete before the network
initialization could start.

> Second, while the webcam was one of the few differences between the 2
> PCs, I was able to have fast boots even when the camera was plugged.
>
> Furthermore there is not too much to change about a usb webcam but
> something has changed... and it was not the usb port for sure.

There are lots of things which can change.  Cables, hubs, connections,
the webcam itself, the drivers, USB hardware, and more.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077