[svlug] Hard drive destruction

Sarah Newman newmans at sonic.net
Sat Sep 12 12:57:22 PDT 2015

On 09/12/2015 12:31 PM, Mike Castle wrote:
> It might be useful to know if you're looking at a one time deal to get
> rid of some bad eggs, or an ongoing effort where you get a few here
> and there.

How many varies, but it's going to be more than just once.

> One thing I've see that could be useful for the one/week rate looked
> like a hydraulic jack in a rig that would drive a 1" spike through the
> drive.

Luke just pointed out that carbon nanotubes are asbestos level bad for your lungs and that they are in use right now
http://www.nanocyl.com/jp/Products-Solutions/Sectors/Electronics/HDD-Trays-Components So yeah, I think I'd really rather not do anything that involves
opening the contents.

> Another useful thing to try might be a bulk tape eraser.   Try it on a
> working drive you want to retire first to see how effective it is.

Could work. I've no idea where to safely store it though...