[svlug] Hard drive destruction

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Sep 11 20:26:37 PDT 2015

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:00:06 +0200
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:

> On 09/11/2015 02:16 AM, Sarah Newman wrote:
> > Usually to wipe a hard drive I use hdparm to set a password and run
> > security-erase(-enhanced). But some hard drives are too broken to
> > run that on. Does anyone have a recommendation for a local service
> > that will physically destroy them?

> Once upon a time I found relaxing to break them with a hammer.

That's what I always do. I try to make sure no part of any platter is
more than 1 square centimeter.

> If you've to do it for more than a couple HDs a day you may not find
> it relaxing anymore but maybe you can raise your tolerance level
> trying to industrialize it a bit (a vise, safety earmuff...).

I should probably wear safety glasses rather than depending on my
vision glasses. And yeah, if I had to do this often, I wouldn't
hammerize them.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust