[svlug] Hard drive destruction

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Sep 11 09:32:19 PDT 2015

Reading this thread, I have to say I'm glad my server is hosted at a
company run by Luke and Sarah, and not one run by Michael Robinson.

Not that I generally keep anything secret on the web/mail server
anyway, and I know perfectly well that you can't count on
unencrypted email staying private; but it would feel creepy to have
my personal email running through a company that made it a regular
practice to snoop on their customers' data. Why would I want to pay
someone to spy on me if I don't have to? (Is Michael just trolling?)

The reason I destroy old hard drives from home machines is that
they might contain passwords, financial information and perhaps
personal information. Nothing to do with any illegal activity.

I have in the past opened up hard drives and done things like bending
and scratching the platters using hammers, vice-grips and screwdrivers.
That can be interesting (it's always fun to take things apart the
first few times) but it's very time consuming and probably not cost
effective for a business. The barbecue method sounds a lot easier.

        ...Akkana