[svlug] Hard drive destruction

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Fri Sep 11 00:00:06 PDT 2015

On 09/11/2015 02:16 AM, Sarah Newman wrote:
> Usually to wipe a hard drive I use hdparm to set a password and run security-erase(-enhanced). But some hard drives are too broken to run that on.
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a local service that will physically destroy them?
Once upon a time I found relaxing to break them with a hammer.
If you've to do it for more than a couple HDs a day you may not find it
relaxing anymore but maybe you can raise your tolerance level trying to
industrialize it a bit (a vise, safety earmuff...).

I think that services like Iron Mountain or buying a shredder make sense
if you really have to get rid of several HDs and you've a business that
can afford it.

When I was used to put stuff on the internet I never noticed EULA
mentioning anything about data privacy specifically. Once upon a time
web farm where used to write they had biometric bullshit to get in and
that sort of thing as "advertising", but I never noticed anyone
explicitly saying "we will take care your data will be private".

If I were a small business I wouldn't miss this chance to at least
advertise I'm taking this extra step for my clients.

But anyway, after all who cares about privacy if you're not a terrorist
or a subversive? We are all on facebook (or AWS) ;)

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it