[svlug] ARM development: things run fast, happy ending (?)

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Sep 10 02:58:19 PDT 2015

Let me share my awesome experience with nice linux supporting hardware
manufacturer.

A couple of months ago I was trying to get a clue about how to develop
software on Linux embedded, what tools I could chose, what was the
status of hardware support etc...

I rabidly read everything that could give me an idea of what was the
current support status from chip makers, what were the build system,
what was the status of peripherial devices and I felt overwhelmed.

I bought books, read blog posts, read documentation pages of chip
makers... and the more I read the more the feeling I'd have to spend
more time in putting pieces together rather than writing software grew.

Desperate and resigned I bought a sample hardware (CPU + display) to
actually see how painful it would be.

In my last attempt to make my life as a developer more amusing today I
wrote to the manufacturer asking if they had any plan to make my life
less miserable supporting Yocto and getting out of the getto of
"internally supported build system".

And they said YES we have and we share your concerns... we are still
writing the docs... but this is our work to share.

I love Open Source.

And yeah Sarah... they are the one I was talking about.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo http://www.webthatworks.it