[svlug] Linux preinstalled laptops...

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 12:23:36 PDT 2015

quoting steve litt:
>>Then I really thought about it.
>>I'm willing to "take one for the team", but at a 50% to 100% price
>>premium? And, given their pricing, are they really on my team?

indeed...
what za does for the 'team' hardware wise is great (and loyal).
but their prices are more 'gates'ian and not even close to what a penguin
can fish up swimming round the webs...
and their prices seem to keep going up.
i remember when they had a nice laptop @ the bottom end of pricing for
about $500 (before any upgrades).
there are  refurbished by lenovo thinkpads/others with available
warranties(which cover accidental droppage) for $300(ish) online.
makes it tough to stay local and loyal.

message ends.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 11:06:53 -0700
> Sarah Newman <newmans at sonic.net> wrote:
>
> > On 09/07/2015 02:41 PM, Michael Robinson wrote:
> > > I'm looking beyond system76 at hopefully vendors that offer Fedora
> > > 22 pre installed.  Haven't found one yet and so far the price
> > > appears to be well north of $1k even for an ultrabook.
> >
> > http://zareason.com/shop/Laptops/
> >

> According to that web page, ZaReason has bottom-priced laptops at $749,
> but on any given day you can find similarly specified laptops at Costco
> for $300 less, often $350 less. Right now Costco has a laptop with 12MB
> RAM for $599.
>
> >From what I understand, if you buy a laptop at Costco and can't install
> Linux on it, you can restore it to factory original (via the restore
> partition) and return it within 90 days via Costco's "for any reason"
> policy. Check with your local store to make sure.
>
> I used to feel guilty about not buying my computers from ZaReason,
> System76, Penguin Computing and the rest. Then I really thought about
> it. I'm willing to "take one for the team", but at a 50% to 100% price
> premium? And, given their pricing, are they really on my team?
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*