[svlug] Linux preinstalled laptops...

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Sep 8 11:54:10 PDT 2015

On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 11:06:53 -0700
Sarah Newman <newmans at sonic.net> wrote:

> On 09/07/2015 02:41 PM, Michael Robinson wrote:
> > I'm looking beyond system76 at hopefully vendors that offer Fedora
> > 22 pre installed.  Haven't found one yet and so far the price
> > appears to be well north of $1k even for an ultrabook.
>
> http://zareason.com/shop/Laptops/

According to that web page, ZaReason has bottom-priced laptops at $749,
but on any given day you can find similarly specified laptops at Costco
for $300 less, often $350 less. Right now Costco has a laptop with 12MB
RAM for $599.

From what I understand, if you buy a laptop at Costco and can't install
Linux on it, you can restore it to factory original (via the restore
partition) and return it within 90 days via Costco's "for any reason"
policy. Check with your local store to make sure.

I used to feel guilty about not buying my computers from ZaReason,
System76, Penguin Computing and the rest. Then I really thought about
it. I'm willing to "take one for the team", but at a 50% to 100% price
premium? And, given their pricing, are they really on my team?

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust