[svlug] [svlug-announce] SVLUG Sept. 2nd meeting: Luke S. Crawford on OpenLDAP; Single Sign-On without Sharing Password Hashes

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 1 18:46:58 PDT 2015

WHEN:

Wednesday, September 2nd, 2015
7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

TOPIC: OpenLDAP: Single Sign-On without Sharing Password Hashes

PRESENTED BY:
 Luke S. Crawford

TOPIC SUMMARY:
Luke will go over how to set up a Linux system to authenticate off
OpenLDAP, including PAM (so you can authenticate to the Linux
system itself), the OpenSSH-LPK patch (so you can setup your
passwordless SSH logins using LDAP), and setup of Apache httpd's
mod_auth_ldap.  Luke will also rant about "damn kids" who have
to "rewrite the auth stack", and explain how LDAP is "good enough"
without being too much work to implement.  Properly set up, LDAP
is as good as Kerberos with tunneled-cleartext passwords enabled.
Not, obviously, as good as end-to-end Kerberos, but that requires
client-side support. As our speaker has one day of prep, he'll
not be going deep into Kerberos use with LDAP, and will largely
ignore Active Directory.

If Luke has time, he'll also cover LDAP's integration with SMTP mail
routing and with Django.

This meeting will be co-sponsored by the Silicon Valley Linux Technology
Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/Silicon-Valley-Linux-Technology/).

ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
Luke S. Crawford (http://prgmr.com/~lsc/) is a long-time computer
technician, author, and entrepreneur. With Sarah Newman
(http://prgmr.com/~srn/), he runs prgmr.com, a small company providing
Private Servers to the technically adept, and contracting/consulting
services to the moneyed.

With Chris Takemura, he wrote The Book of Xen
(https://www.nostarch.com/xen.htm), published by No Starch Press.

LOCATION:

 Symantec
 VCAFE Facility
 350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
 Mountain View, CA 94043

 http://www.svlug.org/directions/symantec.php

webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

restaurant/diner after the meeting:  Frankie, Johnnie & Luigi, Too,
939 West El Camino Real between Shoreline and Castro, Mountain View.

We look forward to seeing you there!