[svlug] boycottdocker.org: was Meeting this Wednesday: Speaker? Open discussion?

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Tue Sep 1 13:31:23 PDT 2015

On 09/01/2015 05:07 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 10:18:27 +0200
> Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:
>
>> I couldn't resist:
>> http://www.boycottdocker.org/
>
> Well *that* was interesting.
>
> I didn't understand a lot of it, and I know for a fact all my Qemu
> guests use NAT just like Docker, but this is the first time I ever
> heard anything anti-Docker.

One problem with the article is that it compares apples and oranges.

Docker is not designed to be a VM replacement.  It is intended for
a single process running in a restricted environment.  So, no, you
don't find Docker supporting syslog, ntpd, or other multi-process
environments (although they are supported on the underlying host.)

The comments about CPU overhead seemed to be based on hypothetical
arguments that the Docker abstraction layers and context switches
are somehow less efficient than KVM abstraction layers and context
switches.  I'm sure that one can find applications which run better
in one environment than the other.

Much of the rest seems to be along the same line, questionable
comparisons and inaccurate characterizations.

I'm sure that there are valid criticism of Docker.  I'm not sure
that you will find them in this article.  I tried Docker, but
for my uses, it isn't appropriate.  I'm using LXC for low-weight
containers, alongside the VMware VMs I've used for a long time.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077