[svlug] boycottdocker.org: was Meeting this Wednesday: Speaker? Open discussion?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Tue Sep 1 12:57:45 PDT 2015

On 09/01/2015 06:00 PM, Luke S. Crawford wrote:

> Also, as a service provider?  I have sold containers before (freebsd
> jails) -   it's my opinion that putting multiple untrusted users on the
> same kernel is a really bad idea, and ultimately costs the provider

I've to admit I try very hard not to trust myself, that's easier than
making mistakes but I do use containers because if I had to pay myself
as a sysadmin I'd be bankrupt and I've invested enough time in learning
how to use vserver and later lxc I really don't want to learn kvm if not
forced and generally containers are enough to set up a test environment
for the things I do.

> money, unless hardware is expensive and sysadmin time is free.   Buy a
> little more hardware; use stronger compartmentalization to separate out
> your untrusted users.    It will save time and money and customers in
> the long term.

I'm not that sure that virtualization is really that cool since there is
just one kernel that it is worth to run :)
(Not really when you've to cross compile...)

I don't know... we've to expect a pause in the exponential grow of
Moore's law but I don't know if the difference in resources demand
between virtualization and conteinerization is really that important.

Then it depends on what do you mean by users... and users of what...
Still if you expect millions of users you can't expect the level of
expertise to give them access to a loaded gun and it may be worth to
save as much as possible on resources.

I think that there is still space to make container good enough.
CPUs have support for virtualization and it seems that just now Intel is
thinking to add hardware support for containerization.
Of course sharing a kernel means somehow sharing an address space... but
who knows...

And yeah I don't like docker either.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo