[svlug] Meeting this Wednesday: Speaker? Open discussion? PLUS plug for SCALE

Luke S. Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Tue Sep 1 09:30:17 PDT 2015

Ok. I really am a lot more enthused about the OpenLDAP talk than about
the ZFS on Linux talk, just 'cause I think I can do a better job on the
OpenLDAP talk given a day prep.    The ZFS will be another day -  I'm
setting up my zfs stuff now, but I'm still making all the newb mistakes
on that, whereas I feel like I made most of the newb openldap mistakes
some time ago on someone else's dime.

Yesterday I was setting up my home workstation with a 5x1.5tb array for,
you know, personal stuff.  I got a little ahead of myself replacing a
drive (this is all stuff that was in servers for many years)  and I
added a drive too the pool *but not the raidz*

(so yeah, as far as I can tell, you  always do 'replace' not 'add' when
you are replacing drives in zfs.  'add' is for creating new arrays
only.   I should submit a patch that adds an 'are you sure?' when you
add a disk to a pool with a zraid)

this is a mistake, you see, because now I have a non-redundant thing in
my zpool, and, as far as I can tell, no way to remove it from the
zpool.   I ended up scratching the raid and starting over.