[svlug] ARM debuggers was: serial ports

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Nov 30 11:51:56 PST 2015

On 11/30/2015 07:59 PM, Michael Eager wrote:
> On 11/28/2015 04:18 AM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
>> On 11/19/2015 10:08 AM, Jesse Monroy wrote:
>>
>>> FDTI - http://www.ftdichip.com/
>>
>> on which most ARM debuggers are based on...
>
> FDTI is a serial port (RS-232) to USB connector.  Not
> related to debuggers.  GDB, for example, will not use
> a serial port to communicate to an ARM target.

I actually was convinced that openocd was the way to go to debug on arm.

mmm so what is the alternative to:

http://openocd.org/doc/html/Debug-Adapter-Hardware.html

and to my very shallow knowledge [XXX] -> jtag|swd|* where [XXX] is
generally usb is a serial to serial converter.

BTW I was nearly going to finalize an order for olimex debugger and one
of their STM32 board.

You're still in time to give interesting advices ;)

I picked up the STM32 because it seems to be more industrial oriented
and it has all the things I need and I can have it in a single shipment.
Somehow the software will play a more important part than this piece of
hardware and the numbers are small.
Possibly the time I'd have to invest in picking up something better
won't be repaid by the hypothetical advantages of a smarter choice.
But maybe with a little bit of help I could reduce substantially the
time to consider viable alternatives.

I didn't even try to find other "industrial oriented" board but any
suggestion is welcome. The constraint on my part is to be able to work
with only open software that run on linux.
Olimex seems to be the best supported debugger for arm and I just would
like to start from somewhere and picking up all olimex stuff that has a
lot of documentation looked like a smooth start.

thanks

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it