[svlug] Problem compiling qtparted-0.5.0

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Nov 28 15:33:28 PST 2015

Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):

> Perhaps I read your writings with a different implication than your
> intentions when you wrote them.

It would be easier to understand what you mean if you would cite
specifics.

Standards for what is an 'insult' differ notably between regions,
between subcultures, and across years.  Not far north of me over the
county border in San Francisco is the site of the last formal duel
fought in California, over a politics squabble between two men named
Broderick and Terry, in 1859.  (Much remains crazy, but at least we
haven't had our politicians shooting each other lately.)

In most parts of the US, except among the theatrically hypersensitive
and those adopting the hobby of being offended on the part of other
people (a growth industry), for at least the last half-century, most
folks have construed 'insult' to require, among other qualities,
unambiguously derogatory personal reference.

But standards doubtless differ.  If you wish to make clear what you're
talking about, you would need to be a great deal more specific,
otherwise there is the near-certainty of people using the same words to
mean different things.

> Well, umm, no, it's an insult. But I wave my killfile at him only once
> every couple months, as opposed to the almost daily disses toward
> him...

Here, again, you have utterly failed to state in what particulars the
dissing (the personal insulting) of _him_, personally, resided.  If I
were of the theatrically hypersensitive sort, I'd be taking offence at
this.  Instead, I just note that cultures differ.

I share a very pervasive technical culture characterising the Linux
community in most of the USA, Canada, and western Europe, where being
told that you've been working on solving the wrong problem, and exactly
where the misunderstanding happened, is not legitimately seen as
insulting, but in fact as caring.  The uncaring?  What do they do?
They just hit the delete key and move on.  Some of them even killfile
the person.  A very few even go in boast in public about that
killfiling.

You apparently don't share that broadly held technical culture in those
particulars, at least.  And that it OK.  We recognise diversity.  But
coming in and telling us your unusual interpretation is something the
rest of us need to share, that is something you're not likely to prevail
on, and frankly comes across as more than a little arrogant.  Just so
you know, since we're sharing perceptions.