[svlug] ARM debuggers was: serial ports

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sat Nov 28 04:18:43 PST 2015

On 11/19/2015 10:08 AM, Jesse Monroy wrote:

> FDTI - http://www.ftdichip.com/

on which most ARM debuggers are based on...

I was planning to buy the olimex

https://www.olimex.com/Products/ARM/JTAG/ARM-USB-OCD-H/

it *seems* the most well supported.

I considered to buy flyswatter2 but the olimex seems to have some sort
of official support from openocd.

I'm currently reading a lot of datasheet for a cpu that is FULLY
supported by open source toolchain (compiler and debugger)[1], possibly
with a development board that could be easily adapted to industrial
applications (if not simply plugged in in a machine).

I'm far too lazy to know how many different debugging connectors there
are to buy ALL the adapters in the same order and if I may end up buying
the olimex debugger + a bunch of adapters, later pick up the CPU and
board and ending up with stuff that don't match.

Is this an exhaustive list?
https://www.olimex.com/Products/ARM/JTAG/ARM-JTAG-20-10/
https://www.olimex.com/Products/ARM/JTAG/ARM-JTAG-SWD/
that will cover most of the development board I may end up to chose?

I got the impression I could debug all arm CPU with openocd, the olimex
debugger and a bit of tweaking of the openocd configuration. Is it true?
If not what should I check?

[1] I don't plan to run Linux on the CPU but I do want to use all
development software that is open software and run on Linux.
I may need libraries for USB, no need for network.
I may need a DSP, and it would be nice if the libraries for the DSP were
open... but well... I think I'll really need a DSP next year ;)

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it