[svlug] qtparted-0.5.0 missing something still...

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sat Nov 28 02:32:32 PST 2015

«
> /home/michael/qtparted-0.5.0/src/qp_libparted.cpp: In member function ‘void QP_LibParted::get_filesystem(QP_FileSystem*)’:
> /home/michael/qtparted-0.5.0/src/qp_libparted.cpp:718:48: error: ‘PedFileSystemOps’ has no member named ‘create’
                                       walk->ops->create,
»

Yeah in fact there are. My suspicion is that qparted is too old or
libparted is too new and PedFileSystemOps has changed signature as you
may guess from

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/parted.git/tree/libparted/fs/ext2/interface.c

Last release of qtparted is 10 years old!!! Last commit to parted has 1
month.

> need???  I know adding software to a Linux from scratch system is
> adding software the hard way, but really there are only 2-3 things left
> to add that I really want.  For educational reasons, I'd like to learn
> what the problem is at least.

The problem is you miss basic knowledge on how make and C/C++ works and
you don't know what to google.

Seriously.
It really makes me wonder what made you believe you could write you're a
C/C++ expert in your CV.
I'm sorry but this is a reality check.

If you want to improve your diagnostic skills for C/C++ I'd start to
write simple programs in C/C++ that use libraries and *build* libraries.
No matter how simple the library you may write could be, do it as an
exercise to understand how linking works and how libraries and headers
are found.

Then take some simple program written by someone else that uses
libraries and examine carefully the source and the make file.

Really write and read far more C/C++ code and try to understand what's
going on by yourself and as last resort learn to google meaningful stuff.

Rise and repeat.

Learn how to read compilers errors! As Karen said there may be
transition period when the support for some new features of a language
is still getting mature and some errors may be cryptic but generally
these are not the errors you'd find spit out by mature software or by
things you're writing on your own unless you're experimenting with a new
standard.

C and C++ errors are rarely ambiguous unless you're using a pretty
bad/unfrequently used compiler.
If you don't understand C and C errors you can't even google them.

For educational reasons you shouldn't want to know what THIS specific
problem is, for educational purpose you'd build up enough skills to deal
with C/C++ and generally how to read and report errors to peers
programmers, that also mean to actually get at least a clue about what
could be the relevant information related to an error and not 10Kb of logs!

oh and if you think I'm a presumptuous unrespectful bastard that is just
taking joke of you, that's your MAIN problem.

If I had to write a CV I'd never write I'm a C expert and I started to
write C code more than 20 years ago and it has been paying my bills for
a pretty long time too. That hardly sounds as being presumptuous.

And if I was a bastard I'd have left you whining alone in the dark.

BTW I started to write C code far too late since I was used to asm and
Pascal [sic], and I found the indention of C horrible. What a shame.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it