[svlug] LFS and learning Linux: was Problem compiling qtparted-0.5.0

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri Nov 27 19:19:06 PST 2015

> Linux from scratch is for folks with extensive experience working
> with linux
> systems engineering and expert low level knowledge of tool chains and
> complex
> build processes. And, if you want to create a usable system, then you
> need to
> deal with the lack of an installer and the lack of package management
> and
> the lack of a coherent security model. These are not trivial problems
> resolve. I've actually done it. It's not a small project.
>
> Adapt and thrive,
> Karen

Thank you.  I should try to boot Debian or Gentoo NFS root because
Debian and Gentoo have a notion of packages.  I wrote a script to
remove Qt5 from /usr.  Seems to have worked.  Unfortunately,
I'm still not satisfying qtparted-0.5.0.  It's the last thing I'd
really like to add to my LFS system, aside from the man pages for
nfs-utils.  Not sure how those got passed over.  Oops ;-)  Maybe I
should add samba so I can interact with Windows shares on my FreeNAS9
NAS.  Having X even though it is not absolutely necessary is nice when
doing bare metal backup/restoration work.  Even when doing full
backups, it is nice to be able to do some data backups say to the NAS
and maybe remove the data from the local hard drive.

I'm doing too much to produce a Linux system I can do backups with, but
the system I have now is pretty good and should be useful.

I think the first time I came across qtparted was on a gentoo rescue
cd.  What these days offers a similar tool that is actually maintained?
When doing partition resizing, it is nice to have a graphical as
opposed to a command line tool.