[svlug] Finally got rid of that annoying gnome feature, known as hot corner

Jesse Monroy jesse650 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 22:43:31 PST 2015

On 11/24/15, Karen Shaeffer <shaeffer at neuralscape.com> wrote:
::::SNIP::::
> Hi Jesse,
> I don't use an IDE. I wrote my own tools in C++. And they do everything I
> need
> quite effectively. My tools are currently integrated into a C-scopeish
> interface
> and they work perfectly for my needs and style. I'll soon be integrating my
> tools into a web API as well. If I find a need to do something my tools
> can't do
> yet, then I can extend my tools at will -- because I wrote them!

CAUTION: You are heading do the path known as "It works for me. Not
sure why yours is broken."

> I do plan to do some programming in C++14 and Swift using Xcode on my Mac
> one
> day. Swift is a breath of fresh air compared to objective-c. I choose not
> use objective-c, but I don't see it as evil or anything. I simply find it
> an
> uninteresting language for my taste in programming. I think Xcode is an
> interesting IDE that I am looking forward to using. One thing to note is
> that
> you can use the Xcode tool chain from the commandline -- you don't actually
> have to be in the IDE. (Or at least that used to be the case, I haven't
> looked
> at the current version.)

Rabbit holes come in various forms. Some have curious entrances.
I cannot speak intelligently about XCode. I can only speak about it's
results. I will reserve comment under the heading of, "your mom said
if you can't say anything nice..."

>> If you count tools like bowser, npm, etc., then you have the
>> equivalent of fancy rock sorters, nothing more.
>>
>> If you count declarative languages like MASM, XML (the global
>> standardized disaster), SQL, Chef, Make, Prolog, Clojure, STL
>> (Standard Template Language), etc., then you'll see we still haven't
>> figure this out.
>>
>> Does it get any better? Yes, on bright spot is 'ash' which inspired
>> 'bash' and other languages that (now) have "dictionaries",
>> "associative arrays", "hashed objects", etc.
>>
>> When I got started in programming on of my teachers said there was a
>> broad observation, you have three (3) types of languages of upper
>> level languages, those like Modula/Pascal tightly typed, those like C
>> loosely typed, and those in between. For the most part, we have been
>> getting more of the middle every year.
>>
>> Then there are the got-a-job-guaranteed never-get-fired languages of
>> Cobal, Forth, and Java. Yeesss - retire with great benefits.
>>
>> Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=legacy+computer+languages
>>
>> Don't get me started on the so-called AI languages.
>
> Well probabilistic programming languages are beginning to emerge. And they
> will have a very broad footprint into application spaces. Folks are
> experimenting with implementations of probabilistic programming languages
> using C++14 and to a larger extent Haskell. No doubt there are
> implementations
> using other languages too. If this is interesting to you, here is an
> excellent
> Ph.d thesis, which you can download for future reference:
>
> https://www.cs.umd.edu/~ntoronto/papers/toronto-2014diss.pdf
> http://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5097&context=etd
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKKkj-M34So
>
> I am beginning to learn Haskell these days. It is a very interesting
> language
> that compliments C++ quite well.

I'm watching the Dissertation Defence. He appears very pleased with
himself, which would make him an excellent PhD.

> Thanks for your comments. All very interesting. You'll be much less
> stressed,
> if you simply see all the variance in programming languages as diversity of
> implementations that you don't have to learn or use -- unless you choose
> to!

I'm not stressed.

I'll reply to the other emails later tonight or tomorrow.

Jesse