[svlug] Problem compiling qtparted-0.5.0

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Nov 26 15:27:21 PST 2015

On 11/26/2015 06:23 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 19:59:49 -0800
> Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Michael C. Robinson (plug_1 at robinson-west.com):
>>
>>> Is this a Linux list or a get off my back and go elsewhere list?

> Michael *is* right about one thing: Ivan and Rick hammered him pretty
> hard in this thread.

The post had its own load of informations, it wasn't pure bashing... but
guess what...

«He doesn't appreciate being told that he needs to learn about
dependencies and the build process. He is a computer scientist with 10+
years of Linux experience. He has satisfied a lot of dependencies, so he
know what that's about.»

This is a reality check for the list: He explicitly said he doesn't want
to be helped.

(Akkana:) He doesn't need to be reminded he should report errors with a
meaningful context, he doesn't need to be reminded he should be
reasonably comfortable with make, autoconf, gcc, C, C++...
He just need someone that google for him how to compile qt4 stuff with
qt5 installed, because that's trivial and he has more important and
complicated problems we *can't* understand.

I do appreciate people still replying because they are building an
archive of knowledge that other people may read, but neglecting the fact
that all your suggestions are ignored is like putting on the same level
intelligent design and evolution: you're not doing a good service to the
authoritativeness of scientific process.
If you challenge opinions without coming out with something better you
can't pretend you can play on the same level.

Does any one know why using LFS to build up an automatic backup system
should be better than using PXE, initramfs and whatever backup tool
already exist?
And all the chain of nonsense all this problem is affected by? really:
qtparted, gnome, systemd, X... what else???
Gnome with qtparted for an automatic backup system built with LFS? Are
we kidding?
What kind of backup? What risk should they mitigate?
Is this a problem related to LFS? Why LFS? To learn? What?

I want to make a good ice cream with tomatoes and lime so I decided I
should learn physics, while I was trying to solve this hamiltonian I
noticed this operators didn't commute. Could somebody help me solving
this integral by substitution?
And when you answer that question the next is: I did try to compute the
conjugate but it seems it is wrong.

OK, you want to learn physics: right, learn calculus first.
You want to learn how to make ice creams with tomatoes and lime, it
seems strange but well look how other people made chocolate ice cream
and adapt.

Hey I got stuck with some hyperbolic trigonometry while I was building a
fridge that can make ice cubes can somebody help?

I suggest you to take some calculus lessons first.

Hey I know physics, you simply don't know sinh!
Is this a physics ML?

Seriously isn't pointing out that this is ludicrous craziness the best
advice we can give?

Isn't being tolerant with this mess a way to say: oh well this is a
reasonable and acceptable way to solve problems and ask help to a community?

If he or anyone else doesn't understand this way to solve problem and
relate with a community is WRONG he will insist.
I made my mistakes, smart people made me feel the cost of them and I learnt.

> Next step, reply to your own question, adding <SOLVED> on the end,
> *bragging* about your solution (which you don't call a kludge: You act
> like it sprang from the mind of the greatest developer on earth). Then
> just sit back and watch the flames come in...

This trick is old too, but:
- it is not childish
- it shows some effort
- it may solve the problem even if not elegantly
- it is evil genius applied
- in fact no matter it is old it still has a much higher rate of success

This is the kind of knowledge you shouldn't share and keep it for the
eldest ;)

Let me add chopped liver to my CV, I saw some smart people having it on
theirs.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it