[svlug] Finally got rid of that annoying gnome feature, known as hot corner

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Thu Nov 26 10:14:10 PST 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 04:55:42AM +0000, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 08:58:51PM -0700, Jesse Monroy wrote:
> > As for C++, it is preparing it's own abortion. (don't get me started ;-) )
> >
> > Jesse
>
> Hi Jesse,
> I realize M$ has muddied the waters in the context of C++. But I believe C++
> is a beautiful language that has incredible expressive capacity builtin. Many
> folks argue that is the core problem with the language. And with C++11 and
> now C++14, that expressive capacity has been waxing. In my eyes, this is all
> for the better. I see all that expressive capacity as giving the author great
> flexibility in how they implement their creations. And, sure, it brings with
> it a significant barrier to entry in the learning curve. And, to the novice,
> all the expressive capacity can seem like a curse. But it is all worth it,
> once you get past those early problems.

Hi Jesse,
On a more particular and constructive note, C++ is a very difficult language
to use, until you come to realize the language and its usage are intricately
related to types. In effective use of C++, simple problem domains are modeled
by a type. More complex problem domains are modeled by a constellation of
interactive types or a hierarchy of types or a hybrid of the two. In designing
types, one pays close attention to concepts that a type must satisfy:

http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/concept

And these concepts can be checked by the type traits.

This can be especially difficult to grasp, because most languages are not
strongly typed. I had many years of experience using the C language, before
focusing on C++11. Thinking of C++ as an extension of C is a painful trap you
want to avoid. But once I finally felt comfortable with the role types play in
the language and its use, then C++ became fun and exciting and a very powerful
language/standard library that enables you to solve significant problems
quickly. I believe it is a very beautiful language. One of the more interesting
languages I have used.

enjoy,
Karen
--
Karen Shaeffer                 Be aware: If you see an obstacle in your path,
Neuralscape Services           that obstacle is your path.        Zen proverb