[svlug] Problem compiling qtparted-0.5.0

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Wed Nov 25 15:53:16 PST 2015

Is this a Linux list or a get off my back and go elsewhere list?

I'm building Linux from scratch hoping I will learn more about Linux.
As far as the claim that the presence of Qt5 won't cause qtparted-0.5.0
to not compile, that is simply false.  The package stops in the
configure stage with the explicit error that Qt5 is present.  I have
most of the packages I asked about such as nautilus and a few others
compiled, installed, and working.  The book was wrong about the
dependencies, said nothing about a crucial mime database update
program.  What the book says about package management is completely
inadequate.  There is simply far too much to be working with all of it
without a package manager and yet the BLFS book has no reasonable
suggestions about where to go concerning package management.

I don't appreciate being told that I need to learn about dependencies
and the build process.  I am a computer scientist with 10+ years of
Linux experience.  I've satisfied a lot of dependencies, so I know what
that's about.  Unfortunately, it isn't always obvious what is missing.
I built Linux from Scratch once before in the 6.6 days, I thought it
might be easier this time.

Is this a Linux list or a gripe about someone posting a vague and
challenging problem list?  I want to know how to build
a Linux distribution with package management from scratch and outfit
it so one can easily back up and restore (bare metal mind you) a
number of OSes.  I've had enough of Mr Moen and Mr. Borgonovo.  I don't
know what your real problems are gentlemen and I really don't care.  I
highly doubt that your problem is someone asking vague and difficult
questions.  The time it takes to tell me in a negative way that I need
to learn something would be far better spent saying, "that question is
too difficult," or someone could suggest a means to get more
information about the problems I ask about so I can ask better
questions and/or provide more meaningful background info.