[svlug] Problem compiling qtparted-0.5.0

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Wed Nov 25 03:39:37 PST 2015

I'd suggest you get a clue about building process in general and
dependencies management before asking nebulous question each time you
step into a problem compiling every single package in a distribution.

I hardly can understand what would be the use of qt in a customized
distribution to do *automatic* remote backup over nfs... if that is what
you are after and still it makes few sense.
qtparted could be possibly useful for restore... but I can't understand
how you could automate restore that need repartitioning with a GUI
tool... but well I think I'm not alone in missing the point of your
whole effort.

On 11/25/2015 10:43 AM, usually Michael wrote:
> The problem is, I have qt4 and qt5 installed.  To compile and install
> qtparted-0.5.0, Qt5 cannot be present.

Wrong.

> I'm not running KDE and highly doubt that anything including LXDE that
> is installed relies on Qt5.  Going by
> the BLFS 7.7 book to try and figure out what to delete in order to
> "uninstall" Qt5 looks daunting.  Any

It would be fun to know how qt5 ended up unnoticed on your LFS on the
first place.

> thoughts on how to get around this problem that don't involve
> dangerously trying to delete every file
> connected with Qt5?

> Building a Linux from scratch system is difficult, especially
> considering that the book doesn't help you deploy
> a package management system.  For example, how can I build Linux from

mmmm what a surprise...

> scratch in such a way that it is packaged and can be installed via
> apt?  It wouldn't be a Debian system, it would just use apt.  Other

Really stop this nonsense. You've been after this a lot of time and you
haven't learned anything. Even the basic things LFS was designed to
teach you.

> options are: dnf, yum, slackware style packages, or something new.
> One complaint I have about the BLFS book is that the sites it refers
> to to get source code from go out of date fast where there rarely
> seems to be an errata.  There is a BLFS 7.8 book out, but I built LFS
> 7.7.  Nonetheless, I couldn't get a few of the packages in BLFS 7.7
> and ended up substituting newer releases of them that are referenced
> in the 7.8 book...

Really, the chances you'll get any help after ignoring every single
advice everyone gave you are near to 0.
If you'll keep on approaching your imaginary problem this way, we will
read just for the fun of it and some cheap trolling.

> GNU coding standards call for making every software package
> uninstallable via make uninstall, but that usually isn't the case.

> For those who don't know, qtparted is a graphical front end to parted.
>    This tool lets you resize hard drive partitions.
>
> Another complaint I have, I abandoned a systemd Linux from scratch
> build in favor of the latest non systemd build where the result is
> less than ideal.  Little did I realize that gnome is not an option

Captatio benevolentiae?

> when you don't go the systemd route as far as the book is concerned.
> I need something that will boot NFS root and a systemd system as far
> as I can tell won't.  I also prefer if I have X to have gnome.

I prefer to have icecream in a cup.

I never tried since I never felt the need to boot from NFS but I've been
exposed to stuff that make me think systemd and booting from NFS are a
non issue.
I know uboot or any system with initramfs can boot from NFS before
systemd has a chance to execute a single instruction.

If I had to build a backup system I'd look how others put together a
backup system and tweak it till it suits my need.
This seems a space that has been quite well explored and I doubt someone
else wouldn't have found a solution that would nearly work for me.

If I had to boot a system from NFS I'd look at how to boot a system from
NFS (or network).
This too seems a space that has been quite well explored.

If I had to customize a distribution I'd look at how to customize a
distribution.
This too seems a space that has been quite well explored.

If I wanted to get rid of systemd I'd go to a shrink ;)

If I had to learn about how a system boot, how dependency should be
managed, how to build stuff and substantially what are the problems
you'll have to face to build up a distribution I'd go for LFS.
And despite you decided to follow this route it seems these are the
things you're NOT learning.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it