[svlug] Finally got rid of that annoying gnome feature, known as hot corner

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Tue Nov 24 17:37:15 PST 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 04:24:54PM +0000, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> > When I got started in programming on of my teachers said there was a
> > broad observation, you have three (3) types of languages of upper
> > level languages, those like Modula/Pascal tightly typed, those like C
> > loosely typed, and those in between. For the most part, we have been
> > getting more of the middle every year.
> >
> > Then there are the got-a-job-guaranteed never-get-fired languages of
> > Cobal, Forth, and Java. Yeesss - retire with great benefits.
> >
> > Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=legacy+computer+languages
> >
> > Don't get me started on the so-called AI languages.
>
> Well probabilistic programming languages are beginning to emerge. And they
> will have a very broad footprint into application spaces. Folks are
> experimenting with implementations of probabilistic programming languages
> using C++14 and to a larger extent Haskell. No doubt there are implementations
> using other languages too. If this is interesting to you, here is an excellent
> Ph.d thesis, which you can download for future reference:
>
> https://www.cs.umd.edu/~ntoronto/papers/toronto-2014diss.pdf
> http://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5097&context=etd
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKKkj-M34So

Hi folks,
This is likely the best overview for the emerging paradigm of probabilistic
programming languages. Its from MIT, of course...

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1404.0099v1.pdf

I like this paper, because its very recent and discusses the limitations of
many of the competing solutions. And here is the source code:

http://probcomp.csail.mit.edu/venture/

If you are looking for the bleeding edge of emergent technologies that are
going to have a major impact on computing in the near future, then this is
a good place to start.

Adapt and thrive,
Karen
--
Karen Shaeffer                 Be aware: If you see an obstacle in your path,
Neuralscape Services           that obstacle is your path.        Zen proverb