[svlug] Finally got rid of that annoying gnome feature, known as hot corner

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Tue Nov 24 08:24:54 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 11:45:15PM -0700, Jesse Monroy wrote:
> > I realize M$ has muddied the waters in the context of C++. But I believe
> > C++
> > is a beautiful language that has incredible expressive capacity builtin.
> > Many
> > folks argue that is the core problem with the language. And with C++11 and
> > now C++14, that expressive capacity has been waxing. In my eyes, this is
> > all
> > for the better. I see all that expressive capacity as giving the author
> > great
> > flexibility in how they implement their creations. And, sure, it brings
> > with
> > it a significant barrier to entry in the learning curve. And, to the
> > novice,
> > all the expressive capacity can seem like a curse. But it is all worth it,
> > once you get past those early problems.
> >
> > For example, I suggest studying the boost graph library (BGL). In my eyes,
> > it
> > is literally a work of art, delivering exceptional flexibility in working
> > with
> > graphs. It is written in C++98 dialect and quite messy, having been written
> > by
> > talented experts of that time. The library could be rewritten in C++14
> > dialect,
> > and the result would be much simpler and easier to understand. And so I
> > claim
> > the language is alive and well and moving forward toward a very bright
> > future.
> >
> > On the other hand, I realize a lot of folks don't see as I do. And that is
> > OK.
> > Diversity and choice equate to freedom of expression! There are so many
> > languages to choose from these days. And it is beautiful to see such
> > diversity
> > available in the world of software: Choose your poison!
> >
> > (smiles ;)
> >

> SEEEEEEEEE Now you got me started.
>
> Of programming in general, I have two (2) large complaints.
>
> 1) Computer programming as we know it, still lives in the age of alchemy.
>
> The only tool that as any relevance are the IDE (Integrated
> Development Environments). But this is like comparing a-rock with a
> rock-on-a-stick. In the end, it's still a rock; with (choose your
> favorite language) being a rock and the IDE being a stick.

Hi Jesse,
I don't use an IDE. I wrote my own tools in C++. And they do everything I need
quite effectively. My tools are currently integrated into a C-scopeish interface
and they work perfectly for my needs and style. I'll soon be integrating my
tools into a web API as well. If I find a need to do something my tools can't do
yet, then I can extend my tools at will -- because I wrote them!

I do plan to do some programming in C++14 and Swift using Xcode on my Mac one
day. Swift is a breath of fresh air compared to objective-c. I choose not to
use objective-c, but I don't see it as evil or anything. I simply find it an
uninteresting language for my taste in programming. I think Xcode is an
interesting IDE that I am looking forward to using. One thing to note is that
you can use the Xcode tool chain from the commandline -- you don't actually
have to be in the IDE. (Or at least that used to be the case, I haven't looked
at the current version.)

> If you count tools like bowser, npm, etc., then you have the
> equivalent of fancy rock sorters, nothing more.
>
> If you count declarative languages like MASM, XML (the global
> standardized disaster), SQL, Chef, Make, Prolog, Clojure, STL
> (Standard Template Language), etc., then you'll see we still haven't
> figure this out.
>
> Does it get any better? Yes, on bright spot is 'ash' which inspired
> 'bash' and other languages that (now) have "dictionaries",
> "associative arrays", "hashed objects", etc.
>
> When I got started in programming on of my teachers said there was a
> broad observation, you have three (3) types of languages of upper
> level languages, those like Modula/Pascal tightly typed, those like C
> loosely typed, and those in between. For the most part, we have been
> getting more of the middle every year.
>
> Then there are the got-a-job-guaranteed never-get-fired languages of
> Cobal, Forth, and Java. Yeesss - retire with great benefits.
>
> Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=legacy+computer+languages
>
> Don't get me started on the so-called AI languages.

Well probabilistic programming languages are beginning to emerge. And they
will have a very broad footprint into application spaces. Folks are
experimenting with implementations of probabilistic programming languages
using C++14 and to a larger extent Haskell. No doubt there are implementations
using other languages too. If this is interesting to you, here is an excellent
Ph.d thesis, which you can download for future reference:

https://www.cs.umd.edu/~ntoronto/papers/toronto-2014diss.pdf
http://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5097&context=etd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKKkj-M34So

I am beginning to learn Haskell these days. It is a very interesting language
that compliments C++ quite well.

Thanks for your comments. All very interesting. You'll be much less stressed,
if you simply see all the variance in programming languages as diversity of
implementations that you don't have to learn or use -- unless you choose to!

enjoy,
Karen
--
Karen Shaeffer                 Be aware: If you see an obstacle in your path,
Neuralscape Services           that obstacle is your path.        Zen proverb