[svlug] Finally got rid of that annoying gnome feature, known as hot corner

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Tue Nov 24 01:09:12 PST 2015

On 11/24/2015 07:45 AM, Jesse Monroy wrote:

> When I got started in programming on of my teachers said there was a
> broad observation, you have three (3) types of languages of upper
> level languages, those like Modula/Pascal tightly typed, those like C
> loosely typed, and those in between. For the most part, we have been
> getting more of the middle every year.

WUT?

> Am I off my rocker? maybe
> http://www.levenez.com/lang/
> http://people.ku.edu/~nkinners/LangList/Extras/langlist.htm

The fact that reality is complicated doesn't translate into we are out
with a stone and a stick.

Take JS, it is getting better but it is still so ugly that there are
several compilers that turn some dialect of JS into JS since nobody
really want to write JS ;)
There is too much legacy code around and some defects of JS won't be
easy to fix without breaking something.

Actually I've been quite impressed by people eg. running snes emulators
or doom or what not in JS but JS is still an even worser pain than php
especially in term of biggest surprise anti-pattern.
Still it is the only things that enable people to do certain things
cross browser with 2 or 3 layers of JS to abstract away the differences
between browsers other than Flash.

If you look in other sectors, not just CS, you'd see the same problems
just mitigated by the fact that material goods tend to die and be
replaced and they generally have fewer interdependency with their
environment than software.

I'd like to get dirtier into the brawl about CS, languages and software
development but I'm just back from a short holiday in Netherlands and
coming back from holidays is never fun. Just to keep the topic hot for
when I'll have time, if you've learnt C++ from C++ for dummies it is a
fantastic language, if you've dig in most esoteric topics and you're not
in a lunatic asylum, your name is Spock.

BTW worpress is switching to node and drupal 8 has been released.
I bet moving all your content to a new platform is going to be expensive
and this could look like a great gift to facebook promoters.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it