[svlug] Finally got rid of that annoying gnome feature, known as hot corner

Jesse Monroy jesse650 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 22:45:15 PST 2015

On 11/23/15, Karen Shaeffer <shaeffer at neuralscape.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 08:58:51PM -0700, Jesse Monroy wrote:
>> On 11/23/15, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>> > Quoting Jesse Monroy (jesse650 at gmail.com):

>> > Javascript is excellent for something?  When did the world change and
>> > nobody sent me a memo?
>> >
>> > I'm not sure what you mean by 'latest windowing system' in this
>> > context.
>> > The reference Weston implementation of Wayland (display server aka
>> > compositor) is in C.  KDE's reference X window manager and future
>> > Wayland compositor (KWin) is in C++.
>> >
>> > Do you mean _Microsoft_ is writing a windowing system in Javascript
>> > with
>> > Python as a support agent?  That would be hideous, but somehow also
>> > appropriate.
>> >
>> Rick,
>> if you want M$ to pollute the world is has Typescript
>> http://www.typescriptlang.org/
>>
>> Javascript + Python = gnome-shell
>>
>> As for C++, it is preparing it's own abortion. (don't get me started ;-)
>> )
>>
>> Jesse
>
> Hi Jesse,
> I realize M$ has muddied the waters in the context of C++. But I believe
> C++
> is a beautiful language that has incredible expressive capacity builtin.
> Many
> folks argue that is the core problem with the language. And with C++11 and
> now C++14, that expressive capacity has been waxing. In my eyes, this is
> all
> for the better. I see all that expressive capacity as giving the author
> great
> flexibility in how they implement their creations. And, sure, it brings
> with
> it a significant barrier to entry in the learning curve. And, to the
> novice,
> all the expressive capacity can seem like a curse. But it is all worth it,
> once you get past those early problems.
>
> For example, I suggest studying the boost graph library (BGL). In my eyes,
> it
> is literally a work of art, delivering exceptional flexibility in working
> with
> graphs. It is written in C++98 dialect and quite messy, having been written
> by
> talented experts of that time. The library could be rewritten in C++14
> dialect,
> and the result would be much simpler and easier to understand. And so I
> claim
> the language is alive and well and moving forward toward a very bright
> future.
>
> On the other hand, I realize a lot of folks don't see as I do. And that is
> OK.
> Diversity and choice equate to freedom of expression! There are so many
> languages to choose from these days. And it is beautiful to see such
> diversity
> [...]

SEEEEEEEEE Now you got me started.

Of programming in general, I have two (2) large complaints.

1) Computer programming as we know it, still lives in the age of alchemy.

The only tool that as any relevance are the IDE (Integrated
Development Environments). But this is like comparing a-rock with a
rock-on-a-stick. In the end, it's still a rock; with (choose your
favorite language) being a rock and the IDE being a stick.

If you count tools like bowser, npm, etc., then you have the
equivalent of fancy rock sorters, nothing more.

If you count declarative languages like MASM, XML (the global
standardized disaster), SQL, Chef, Make, Prolog, Clojure, STL
(Standard Template Language), etc., then you'll see we still haven't
figure this out.

Does it get any better? Yes, on bright spot is 'ash' which inspired
'bash' and other languages that (now) have "dictionaries",
"associative arrays", "hashed objects", etc.

When I got started in programming on of my teachers said there was a
broad observation, you have three (3) types of languages of upper
level languages, those like Modula/Pascal tightly typed, those like C
loosely typed, and those in between. For the most part, we have been
getting more of the middle every year.

Then there are the got-a-job-guaranteed never-get-fired languages of
Cobal, Forth, and Java. Yeesss - retire with great benefits.

Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=legacy+computer+languages

Don't get me started on the so-called AI languages.

2) Every thing is a nail. I have a hammer.

I'm not sure it is laziness, don't want to learn, or me. I know over a dozen
languages, and as appropriate I use them.

For instance, I extend my GUI WYSWIG edit (written in tcl/tk) with bash.
At the command line, I have a utility called scratchpad.
scratchpad can keep 20 scratch sheets (text files) plus on every
directory I wish.
I have similar utilites - new(blank text), newx (executable), notes,
readme (creates README.md), blog (gathers assets for a blog post), etc.

NOW, this example is just two (2) tools twisted a dozen way. I'm sure
many of you
have something similar tool sets.

But let's have a count on tools.
- Is C or C++ your only tool?
- or is it mostly BASH? or ruby? Python? Basic?

Do you know more than on dialect of Regular Expressions?
or is it mostly Perl RE, SQL RE, and a bit of BASH?
Do you know there are over 20 dialects or RE?
Do you know the base language of your windowing language? (I didn't)

Ohhh, wait. I'll write a webpage to get account.
HMMM..  A CGI in bash, perl, python, php, ruby, Javascript, C, AWK?

Am I off my rocker? maybe
http://www.levenez.com/lang/
http://people.ku.edu/~nkinners/LangList/Extras/langlist.htm

Jesse