[svlug] Finally got rid of that annoying gnome feature, known as hot corner

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Mon Nov 23 20:55:42 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 08:58:51PM -0700, Jesse Monroy wrote:
> On 11/23/15, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> > Quoting Jesse Monroy (jesse650 at gmail.com):
> >
> >> Linux. When my mother stated some issues to another brother,
> >> he decide Mom need windows, and the latest, with the latest
> >> printer, etc. Of course, he is not around 90+% of the time when
> >> issues arise - I am.
> >>
> >> FWIW: I realized in this mess, they are writing the latest windowing
> >> system in Javascript with Python as a support agent.
> >> Javascript is an excellent language for this, but Python must
> >> have swallowed a pig.
> >
> > Javascript is excellent for something?  When did the world change and
> > nobody sent me a memo?
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by 'latest windowing system' in this context.
> > The reference Weston implementation of Wayland (display server aka
> > compositor) is in C.  KDE's reference X window manager and future
> > Wayland compositor (KWin) is in C++.
> >
> > Do you mean _Microsoft_ is writing a windowing system in Javascript with
> > Python as a support agent?  That would be hideous, but somehow also
> > appropriate.
> >
> Rick,
> if you want M$ to pollute the world is has Typescript
> http://www.typescriptlang.org/
>
> Javascript + Python = gnome-shell
>
> As for C++, it is preparing it's own abortion. (don't get me started ;-) )
>
> Jesse

Hi Jesse,
I realize M$ has muddied the waters in the context of C++. But I believe C++
is a beautiful language that has incredible expressive capacity builtin. Many
folks argue that is the core problem with the language. And with C++11 and
now C++14, that expressive capacity has been waxing. In my eyes, this is all
for the better. I see all that expressive capacity as giving the author great
flexibility in how they implement their creations. And, sure, it brings with
it a significant barrier to entry in the learning curve. And, to the novice,
all the expressive capacity can seem like a curse. But it is all worth it,
once you get past those early problems.

For example, I suggest studying the boost graph library (BGL). In my eyes, it
is literally a work of art, delivering exceptional flexibility in working with
graphs. It is written in C++98 dialect and quite messy, having been written by
talented experts of that time. The library could be rewritten in C++14 dialect,
and the result would be much simpler and easier to understand. And so I claim
the language is alive and well and moving forward toward a very bright future.

On the other hand, I realize a lot of folks don't see as I do. And that is OK.
Diversity and choice equate to freedom of expression! There are so many
languages to choose from these days. And it is beautiful to see such diversity
available in the world of software: Choose your poison!

(smiles ;)
Karen
--
Karen Shaeffer                 Be aware: If you see an obstacle in your path,
Neuralscape Services           that obstacle is your path.        Zen proverb