[svlug] Finally got rid of that annoying gnome feature, known as hot corner

Jesse Monroy jesse650 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 01:09:32 PST 2015

Heyl
Just a few minutes ago I commented out several lines of code that
helped remove two (2) of the most annoying features I have ever had to
experience.

I'm running:
Ubuntu 14.04 LTE
$ uname -a
Linux lenni 3.13.0-43-generic #72-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 8 19:35:44 UTC
2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

Those (gnome) features are

- "top left hot corner"
- "bottom screen message tray"

With both of these so-called features,  would collapse my screen and I
would have to reset my screen by clicking a "safe spot".  The collapse
would be trigger by accidentally moving my mouse either to the "top
left corner" or to the "bottom edge of the screen". Hence the names,
*top left (hot) corner* and *bottom (edge of the) screen (message
tray)*.

The frustration from the so-called feature was sooo bad, I often had
to leave the room for fear of throw my laptop across the room.

For my friends and fellow programmers who might be reading this, here
is the solution. (I will blog on this later).

cd /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/
sudo vi +1076 layout.js
comment out this line (#1076) in layout.js
        // this._pressureBarrier.connect('trigger', Lang.bind(this,
this._toggleOverview));

This disables the "top left hot corner".

As you might have noticed, the code is written in Javascript.  You may
have also noticed, I disabled this so-called feature by commenting out
the point where the 'trigger' is connected to the action (in this case
`_toggleOverview`).

The message tray is on line #453. There are 6 lines that need to be
commented out there. It starts like this:

        this._trayPressure.connect('trigger', function(barrier) {

If I made your day, let me know. This thing has been a major PITA for
the last two years. I glad to finally disabled this so-called feature.

Jesse