[svlug] serial ports

Jesse Monroy jesse650 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 01:08:05 PST 2015

On 11/18/15, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Hi, Howard!  Long time no see.
>
> Quoting Howard Susman (howard at scsurplus.com):
>
>> In old old Linux, I had no trouble using serial ports for communication.
>> Then maybe ten years ago serial ports did not work for me. I never
>> discovered why.
>
> Not your imagination, by the way.  I've heard this same thing from a lot
> of other people over the years.

I've noticed the same. I attribute the working now because -
someone actually cares that is contributing money.

I and other people on this forum have noticed there is a
bias towards - "enterprise", "corporate" or "general consumer".
I attribute it to committers that have a financial interest in the out come.

My proof is a small company called FTDI that has a financial interest
in embedded systems working correctly with low speed serial ports -
that are NOT USB. Those embedded systems are currently the fast growing
NON-mobile sector. As we know, PC systems are on a down slope
Those embedded system would extend to Raspberry, Arduino, and
many other clones that have an interest.

FDTI - http://www.ftdichip.com/

too tired, maybe should not have answered this.
Jesse