[svlug] mbox vs. maildir?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Nov 17 19:04:09 PST 2015

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 16:21:22 -0700
Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:

> I'm curious: how many of you who use tools like dovecot and mutt
> use maildir, and how many use mbox? Did everybody but me switch to
> maildir long ago? Is forcing dovecot to use mbox asking for trouble?

I use maildir for my Dovecot server, and will never use mbox again.

Even though maildir backs up and rsyncs slowly, consuming huge numbers
of inodes, I use maildir.

Mbox is wonderful, but there are something like four different versions
of it. That doesn't sound, to me, like a safe way to store important
emails. I have mbox from ancient Eudora and mbox from old Kmail, and
they're close but not the same. Ugh, no more!

> Anybody use mailsync, offlineimap, isync/mbsync or a similar tool?
> Having local folders I can read offline is a must (Rick's ssh-to-the-
> server doesn't work for me, alas), but it would be great to have
> folders on the server with remote IMAP access when I want it. I
> experimented with mailsync (mbox) and offlineimap (maildir) in the
> distant past, with mixed results, but I don't know if any of them
> are still maintained or what works best now.

By having a local Dovecot on my desktop, I store all my emails locally,
and can access them with any IMAP-compliant email client.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist