[svlug] procmail (was: Some pretty serious parsing)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 17 17:01:19 PST 2015

Sudden thought re-reading your post:

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):

> But it took much less time to translate my recipes than what I
> thought and now I've no fear to touch my sieve scripts because they
> are very easy to read and edit, I can check them before I put them in
> production and the chances I really miss emails are much lower since
> unless you explicitly tell to delete email everything end up in INBOX.

Sieve filtering scripts, unlike procmail ones, are also _portable_.

If you decide there's a problem with Dovecot LDA plus Dovecot Sieve
plugin, or you prefer some other LDA better for any reason at all,
you can switch transparently to any other LDA having Sieve support.

> Even the fact I rarely update my filters doesn't scare me since rules
> are so clear I don't have to remember how to edit them and I love tools
> that leave my memory free for the tools I don't love ;)

As a data point, I was just looking at the infamously cryptic top line
of each of my procmail scripts and thinking 'I _used_ to know what each
character of that obfuscated line noise notation means.'

Not difficult to look up, but -- ceteris paribus -- I'd rather use
a more-intuitive command syntax.  (Still not changing over, but I
recognise the attraction.)

--
Cheers,                           (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
Rick Moen                         (alec_eso): 1, morganj