[svlug] mbox vs. maildir?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Tue Nov 17 15:21:22 PST 2015

All this (interesting and useful -- thanks, everyone!) discussion
of procmail and dovecot and fetchmail is making me think about
reorganizing how I deal with mail.

I see that dovecot prefers to use maildir format, while I've
always used mbox, except for one brief and unsuccessful attempt
about a decade ago. It's probably time to rethink that.

I'm curious: how many of you who use tools like dovecot and mutt
use maildir, and how many use mbox? Did everybody but me switch to
maildir long ago? Is forcing dovecot to use mbox asking for trouble?

Anybody use mailsync, offlineimap, isync/mbsync or a similar tool?
Having local folders I can read offline is a must (Rick's ssh-to-the-
server doesn't work for me, alas), but it would be great to have
folders on the server with remote IMAP access when I want it. I
experimented with mailsync (mbox) and offlineimap (maildir) in the
distant past, with mixed results, but I don't know if any of them
are still maintained or what works best now.

        ...Akkana